Serving Most Counties in the Metro Atlanta Area

Call Today Call Today for a Confidential Consultation (470) 308-5409
Douglasville Divorce Attorneys - 12461 Veterans Memorial Hwy Suite 470, Douglasville, GA 30134

Douglasville Child Custody FAQ

Get a Confidential Consultation
Douglasville Child Custody FAQ

Navigating child custody matters requires patience and the proper knowledge. You need to understand the intricacies of the legal landscape to make informed decisions for your family.

Our Douglasville child custody lawyers are dedicated to providing the information you need to navigate this challenging terrain.

In this comprehensive FAQ, we’ll address common questions and concerns related to child custody in Douglasville, Georgia, helping you gain clarity on this critical issue.

Who Determines Child Custody in Douglasville, GA?

Who Determines Child Custody in Douglasville, GA?

Child custody in Douglasville is decided by judges and is governed by Georgia law. The court’s primary concern when determining custody arrangements is the child’s best interests.

What Types of Custody Arrangements Exist?

Custody arrangements generally fall into two categories. Those are legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody pertains to decision-making authority. Physical custody is about where the child resides.

How Does the Court Determine Child Custody?

Courts in Douglasville consider several factors. 

They include but are not limited to:

  • The child’s age
  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • The parent’s ability to provide a stable environment
  • The child’s wishes (if they are of sufficient age and maturity to express a preference

The court will assign custody based on the best interests of the child. This is regardless of who the custodial parent is at the time of the decision.

Can Joint Custody Be Awarded in Douglasville?

Yes, the court can award joint legal custody or joint physical custody. It depends on the circumstances and the best interests of the child.

With joint legal custody, parents collaborate on child upbringing decisions. Joint physical custody means the child spends significant time with both parents.

What Is Sole Custody, and When Is It Granted?

Sole custody may provide one parent with primary decision-making authority and/or physical custody of the child. It may be granted when the court determines that it is in the child’s best interests due to factors such as abuse, neglect, or domestic violence.

How Is Child Support Calculated in Douglasville?

Child support in Douglasville is calculated using the Georgia Child Support Guidelines. 

They consider factors like:

  • Each parent’s income
  • The number of children involved
  • Other expenses related to the child’s well-being

There are many factors to consider. Our law firm can assist with child support calculations.

Can Visitation Be Denied If Child Support Isn’t Paid?

Child custody is a separate legal matter from child support. Visitation cannot be withheld as leverage for the other. The court enforces child support orders independently.

When Can a Child Decide Which Parent to Live With?

In Douglasville, Georgia, the court may consider the child’s preference. It must be determined that they are of sufficient age and are mature enough to express a preference. The final decision remains with the court, which prioritizes the child’s best interests.

Do Grandparents Have Custody and Visitation Rights in Douglasville?

Georgia law allows grandparents to seek visitation rights under specific circumstances. However, the court’s primary concern is still the child’s best interests.

What Is a Parenting Plan, and Why Do I Need One?

A parenting plan is a legally binding document. It outlines custody and visitation arrangements. It also includes holiday schedules, decision-making authority, and more. In Georgia, a parenting plan is required in all divorce cases involving children.

Can Custody Provisions From a Separation Agreement Be Included in a Divorce Decree?

These provisions can be incorporated into a divorce decree. However, they are subject to modification if circumstances substantially change.

What Are Temporary Orders in Douglasville Child Custody Cases?

Temporary orders are legal arrangements during a pending custody case. They address issues like temporary child support, visitation schedules, and more. These orders remain in effect until the final hearing.

When and How Can Child Custody Be Modified in Douglasville?

Child custody orders in Douglasville can be modified when there is a significant, unanticipated change in circumstances since the original order. The modification must be in the child’s best interests.

What Happens If Parents Can’t Agree on Custody Arrangements?

Sometimes, parents cannot agree on custody arrangements in Douglasville. When that happens, the court will intervene. When custody arrangements are made, the court will determine the child’s best interests.

Is It Possible to Obtain an Ex Parte Order for Custody in Douglasville?

Emergency orders, sometimes called “ex parte” orders, are like temporary rules for taking care of a child when something really bad happens, like child abuse or when someone might try to take the child away from their parents. These rules can also include ensuring everyone stays safe, making a parent take drug tests, or talking to a counselor.

To ask the court for an emergency order, you need to file a petition explaining why it’s urgent. You should get a lawyer to help you draft this because it can greatly affect how fast the court deals with your case.

Usually, the court will listen to your case within one day of when you file your petition. The other parent won’t be there at this time. After hearing what you say, the judge will decide if they should grant the emergency order.

If the judge agrees and implements the emergency rules, another court hearing will typically occur within 30 days. This time, you and the other parent can discuss why the rules should stay the same or change. If the judge decides to keep the rules, they will remain in place until the case is finished.

How Can I Improve My Chances of Getting a Favorable Custody Agreement?

You must be actively involved in your child’s life. It is important to provide a consistent routine. You also need to promote the child’s relationship with the other parent. The court wants to see that you have created a safe and nurturing environment.

Can a Judge Order Supervised Visitation or No Visitation?

In special cases involving issues like mental health disorders, addiction, violence, or neglect, a judge in Douglasville can order supervised visitation or even no visitation to ensure the child’s safety.

Do Georgia Courts Favor Mothers Over Fathers in Custody Cases?

Georgia courts no longer favor one parent over the other based on gender. Custody decisions now require the best interests of the child to be considered.

Can I Collect Evidence for My Child Custody Case?

You can gather evidence for your custody case in Douglasville. But it’s crucial to consult an experienced attorney who can guide you on effectively obtaining and presenting evidence in court.

Do I Need a Guardian ad Litem or Custody Evaluator in My Case?

The court has several options when establishing a parenting plan. Some cases may require a guardian ad litem. Other times, the court can require a mental health professional to conduct a social investigation, which results in a parenting plan recommendation. 

Will My Child Need to Appear in Court?

Generally, children do not appear or testify in court in Douglasville custody cases. Most times, a guardian ad litem will relay information to the court on the child’s behalf. 

What Is the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA)?

The PKPA is a federal law governing how courts honor and enforce custody determinations issued by other states. It aims to prevent interstate conflicts and abductions and encourages state cooperation on custody matters.

What If My Spouse Tries to Move the Children Out of State?

Act promptly if your spouse attempts to move the children out of state. Depending on the circumstances, you may need to file a petition to establish jurisdiction or address the relocation within an ongoing case.

Changing a child’s last name requires a court petition and notification to the other parent. Ultimately, the court will determine the child’s best interests.

If I Have Custody, Will I Receive Child Support?

A parent with majority time-sharing in Douglasville generally receives child support. It is determined by the Child Support Guidelines based on income, time-sharing percentage, health insurance, and other expenses.

Contact an Experienced Douglasville Child Custody Attorney For Assistance

At Bardley McKnight Law Divorce Lawyers, our experienced family law attorneys are here to assist you with your child custody concerns in Douglasville, Georgia.

We’re committed to helping you navigate the complexities of child custody matters to secure the best possible outcome for your family. Contact our experienced Douglasville child custody lawyers if you have questions or need legal representation.

Visit Us Today

Get a confidential consultation.
No obligations.

Call Now Button